Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More Boring Updates

Grognardia reviews Weird New World here. My only comment is that for a piece of geography that big, the odd stuff had to be liberally sprinkled around, or else there is little possibility of players ever running into it...

A Paladin in Citadel looks at the LotFP Rules book here.

Clinton R Nixon's actual play report of Tower of the Stargazer is here. Always interesting when game designers play something I've done.

There's another Storygames thread here. For some reason I can't register over there (yes I've read the damn terms of service even if the software won't accept that I have...), but I want to comment on this sentence:

"So, on a meta level, my thoughts are: make a big fight in the party and run the adventure to a halt or accept the D&D paradigm of needing a complete party and we're just here to kill things and get the treasure and move on."

I honestly don't understand the thinking. "Grind the adventure to a halt" isn't grinding your adventure to a halt, it's just changing the adventure that goes outside the module's assumed parameters. And that's OK. Inevitable, even. Go for it.

The podcast recording with Trollsmyth and Oddysey lasted not quite FIVE HOURS last night. I hope their recording setup worked. How they're going to present it, I don't know. Not my problem. :) I'm sure there's a ton of filler that may or may not be amusing but was off the point (like my talking about a school Christmas play in Vaasa in a roundabout way of making a point about people not wanting to speak up and talk about themselves), but we really got into the creative process and inspiration for different things. I am not the master of a succinct sound byte, that's for sure, and I'm also sure I repeated several points as doing a Skype interview I can't see that anybody's registering anything that I say. We also had different ways to pronounce "Maliszewski" and I hope I'm not the guy that was getting it wrong the whole time. :)

I got the quotes back from a couple printers for a 128 book for several different bindings and paper types. Basically I took the Dungeon Alphabet and Cursed Chateau to show as examples of what I may want. No decision need be made for a couple months though.

10 comments:

  1. I think you probably were the one getting it right, but I guess we'll see who he yells at. Maybe all of us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: S-G registration: You need to have cookies enabled, and you need to click on the link, not shift-click (to open in new window).

    If you still can't get through and want me to set up an account for you, please hit me up: ziggurat (atmark) gmail.

    Thanks!
    -Andy "StoryGames" K

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So, on a meta level, my thoughts are: make a big fight in the party and run the adventure to a halt or accept the D&D paradigm of needing a complete party and we're just here to kill things and get the treasure and move on."

    This person's problem isn't with the "D&D paradigm" (what ever that means) at all. Its just a simple case of the group not having a consensus on what kind of game they are playing. The writer is obviously into character-immersive play, whereas the others aren't, OR the others have characters who really don't give a toss about their cleric being replaced by an evil doppelganger from the mirror universe.

    Also, she seems to think that the adventure is what's in the module, and not what happens at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a great time with Tower of the Stargazer, and I'm running the game again in a week. I've been carefully re-reading the Referee book, because I'm going to make my own adventure this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of the effort you're putting into this material. I'm looking forward to picking it up and checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always pronounce it mali-chev-ski, but i've probably got it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James you have to click on the actual link not just check the box that says you read the terms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record, it's pronounced "moll-uh-shev-skee" to use a crude phonetic rendering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's another German review by Oger.

    http://ogerhoehlen.blogspot.com/2010/08/kurzrezension-lamentations-of-flame.html

    ReplyDelete